Wintermute here with your daily dose of Dumbr. Recently we started a new segment called classroom games. The purpose of this segment is to introduce you to some new games you can play with your students to help reinforce what you learn in class. However today we are doing gym games, and it’s pretty safe to say that in gym, learning is not our main priority.
1. 1.Dodge Ball - I was lucky, my school had these matted inflatable like block things which I used almost every day. I would build a Castle wall splitting the gym in half and have only one ball out at a time, each side had to hit the other team, easy.
2. 2.Castle Defense- Again using the blocks I would build a castle, the students’ goal was to break the castle using a ball. They simply had to chuck and hurl the ball at the castle to tear it down ala “Angry Birds” style. If you knocked off a block you got a point.
3. 3.Tower Defense – Wonderful game, I would set up a tower, the kids would hide, and I would pummel them with a barrage of balls in an attempt to tear down their tower and hit them. They were allowed to rebuild. This was a great game to let out some frustration.
4. 4. Sit Down Game – Ah yes, the most complex of all my games. The goal of this game was to sit down. I had music playing, while the music was going they were allowed to walk or run, when the music stopped, they sat down. Sounds boring right, they loved it.
5. 5. American Gladiator – Ever watch it on T.V.? It’s like that, set up an obstacle course for your students to run through, all the while you get to hurl balls at them to try and stop them. Place a few more balls at stations for them to stop and try to hit you.
6. 6.Red light Green Light – you know the rules, but mix it up a bit and allow them to be animals or something of the sort to keep it fresh.
Games to avoid.
1. 1. Red Rover – I have never played a successful game of Red Rover in a gym, there is no faster way to have kids crying and screaming your name in hatred and total damnation. “Why teacher, why have you forsaken us, you knew this would happen!!!!”
2. 2.Tag – Tag is a game that singles one student and bestowing unto him a power of which to be desired. Instead of kids running away from the tagger, they will want to be the one that is “it”, as this will bring them the most attention from their peers. Smart kids.
Well one more day down, thank you for being here as always. Tomorrow is Word Games, so be sure to come back.